Sunday, July 2, 2017

Blue Pea Flower Agar-Agar


My friend passed me a packet of home grown sun dried blue pea flowers to include in my cooking. Blue pea flowers usually used in famous Kelantanese/Terengganu ever famous nasi kerabu (rice dyed with blue pea flowers extract garnish with fresh herbs and served with assorted side dishes). I'm not ready to try nasi kerabu yet thus, tried to dye my agar-agar naturally with this humble flowers. This is 100% natural food coloring which you can trust. Blue pea flowers known for many health benefits...a great source of antioxidants which fight against cancer. The flower helps to reduce inflammation and good for skin health.

The brilliant blue color from the flower was amazingly beautiful. The colour does not change the taste of the agar-agar. I love the colour and taste of this easy and simple to make jelly. I still have some leftover flowers and can't wait to venture into more recipes with blue pea flowers. I have grown my own blue pea flower seeds which i got from my friend and hoping to see some shoot coming up soon.




Ingredients

1 packet konyuku jelly powder
1600ml water
4 screwpine/pandan leaves, tied into knots
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
Pinch of salt
20-25 pcs blue pea flowers,rinsed
250ml water


Methods

In a medium heat, boil 200ml water and add blue pea flowers. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain the water and discard the flowers.

Boil 1600ml water and add knotted screwpine/pandan leaves. Leave to boil and add pinch of salt.

Add the blue pea flower water and stir. Add the konyuku jelly powder and stir well. Add the granulated white sugar and simmer for 5-7 minutes.

Remove from heat and discard the screwpine leaves. Let the mixture to cool for 3-4 minutes and pour it into jelly moulds.

Cool the jelly in room temperature before refrigerate for atleast 2-3 hours to set.

Demould the jelly and serve chilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...