Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Home Made Kaya/Coconut Jam



Near my office there is an old Nyonya aunty selling kaya puff, pork pastry,egg tarts and kaya swiss roll. Beside her small stall stands a huge pot of sweet smelling homemade nyonya kaya or coconut jam. While people are queuing for her pastries, her homemade kaya is always in limelight. Freshly made everyday to meet her customer's demands, her egg-coconut mixture stole my heart as well. I always buy my kaya supply from the old aunty. I love them on my morning toast and while enjoying my kaya toast the thought of trying them in my kitchen put a big smile on my face.

There you go, standing in my kitchen stirring a bowl of kaya freshly made all by myself. i don't have much confident in making my own home made kaya yet, i decided to give it a go. The fresh smell of pandan extract filled my kitchen and on top of that the eggy coconut mixture is definitely icing on the cake. Being an impatient person, i just can't wait for the kaya to be ready and spread a generous layer of the freshly made kaya on my hot toast. The kaya toast are too tempting too resist and for the next two months kaya is on my breakfast menu



Ingredients

8-10 pandan/screwpine leaves
6 medium eggs
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups granulated white sugar
1/4 cup water(to grind the pandan leaves)


Methods

Blend pandan leaves with 1/4 cup of water. Strain the extract and keep aside

In a heat proof bowl, combine eggs,coconut milk,sugar and pandan extract

Heat water in a pot and place the bowl on a pot of simmering water. This is called double boiling method which the steam from the boiling water will cook the eggs and coconut milk mixture in the bowl.

Continuously stir the mixture for 35-45 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.

Remove from heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.

Pour the kaya into an air tight jar and keep in the refrigerator at all time.


Notes


  • Kaya stands good up to 2 months in the refrigerator






No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...