Saturday, December 26, 2015

Semolina Cookies/Sugee Cookies



Semolina cookies also known as sugee cookies is a regular during Diwali at my household. This melt in mouth cookies reminds me of my childhood home kitchen watching my mom tiredlessly making it batch by batches to a ever waiting greedy hungry kids. Me and my siblings will be waiting to lick the mixing spoon and the bowl whereas my brother and my youngest sister obidiently mark the cookies with their signature red dots. Yes, there are no sugee cookies without the red dots at my household.

This semolina cookies made rich with pure ghee or clarified butter which is easily found in most Asian stores. The ghee contributes to the soft texture and a beautiful fragrance to the cookies. Sugee cookies can be kept in an airtight container up to 1-2 months.



Ingredients

200g pure ghee
3/4 cup semolina flour
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Few dots of red food coluring


Methods

Preheat oven at 350'F or 175'C and line a baking tray with parchment paper

In a large bowl, add semolina flour,all purpose flour,baking soda,confectioners sugar,ghee and salt.

Mix all the ingredients to a soft dough.

Using a teaspoon, drop the cookies on the prepared baking tray and using a toothpick mark the top of the cookies with red food coluring  .

Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Cool completely on wire rack and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...