Sunday, July 24, 2016

Rose Water And Cardamom Cake



I wanted to bake something exotic for a wonderful woman in my life...my MOTHER. I baked this beautiful rose water and cardamom cake for the queen of my heart. While i was busy scratching my head with what to bake, i came across of rose water and cardamom powder i bought from Jaipur during my North India tour in March. Everytime i opened the cardamom powder jar, the memory of Jaipur and their famous spice market will come into my mind.

What i love in this gorgeous looking cake is the aromatic fragrance of rose water and cardamom powder. They add wonderful flavor to the cake and taste absolutely divine. The chopped almonds add crunchiness to the cake. This cake doesn't require fancy toppings or icing, simply dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle with dried rose petals to impress your guest. As for me, my mother loved the cake so much and seeing the big smile on her face, made my day.




Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 cup whole milk,room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
1 1/3 tsp rose water
1-2 drops rose essence
1 1/3 tsp cardamom powder
1/3 tsp salt


For Granishing

2  tbsp confectioners sugar
Rose buds


Methods

In a bowl, sift together all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Keep aside

Using a stand/hand mixer, beat together brown sugar,butter and eggs until smooth and fluffy.

Add rose water and rose essence. Beat for another 30 seconds.

Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture  followed by milk in batches. Start with 1/3 flour then 1/2 of the milk, 1/3 flour and the remaining milk and the last batch of flour. Beat in between every additions.

Using a spatula, fold in the chopped almonds.

Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan and bake at 350'F or 177'C for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 15 minutes.

Transfer on wire rack and cool completely.

Dust with confectioners sugar and dried rose buds

Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...