Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Pumpkin Red Bean Pastry




I ordered a pumpkin thru online and to my surprise, they delivered quite a large size of pumpkin to my doorstep. Been making use it for good for savoury and sweet dishes for the past few days yet, i still have a small portion to go. While cracking my head what to do next, my eyes caught red bean paste in my pantry. Decided to deep fry pumpkin stuffed with the paste. I want something sweet and chewy which reminds me of a Chinese kuih or snack which my dad ueed to get fot us from wet market during our childhood. I'm re-creating my chidhood memory in the form of evening snack. It's not too sweet as the pumpkin and ted bean paste came with natural sweetness. Chewy and soft with enhanced flavor and texture of the sesame seeds. 



Ingredients

350g pumpkin
100g glutinous rice flour
100g red bean paste
40g white sesame seeds
40g black sesame seeds
4 tbsp sugar
1/3 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying

Methods

Peel of the pumpkin skin and cut into pieces. Steam for 10 minutes or till soft and tender. Transfer to a plate and cool completely.

In a large bowl, mash the pumpkin till fine. Add glutinous rice flour,sugar and salt. Mix well to combine.

Divide into equal size balls and flatten the ball. Place the red bean ball and shape the dough into a ball to seal completely.

Flatten the dough for an inch thick and coat well with sesame seeds.

Repeat the process with remaining dough.

Heat oil in the pan, over a low flame. Deep fry the dough in batches for 3-4 minutes on each sides or till golden. Do not overcrowd the pan.

Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel to drain excess oil

Serve hot or warm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...