Sunday, March 14, 2021

Pandan Gula Melaka Puttu

I woke up with a sweet foodie dream of pandan gula melaka cake. Personally, I'm not a cake person except for cheesecakes & pandan gula melaka. I love the creamy, not so sweet, pandan infused cake that melt in mouth. Even now I'm drooling over it. Anyway, I had my cravings satisfied with a huge slice of my favorite cake but before that for the sake of fulfilling my dream and no cake shops are open at dawn,  I compensate with pandan gula melaka puttu instead.

A twist to the traditional puttu with additional flavor and the sweet fragrance of pandan leaves. My imagination went wild as I want all the elements of pandan gula melaka in my puttu. The rich flavor of coconut cream, the freshness of pandan, the irresistible combo of palm sugar and grated coconut. I did not add any pandan flavor or green food coloring to my puttu. 

The color originated from the extract of pandan leaves.  Do not accept too much water while grinding the leaves. This is to make sure you get the strong color of the pandan leaves. I'm grateful to get my hands on with genuine palm sugar from Malacca which is the important part of the puttu. The house smells wonderful with pandan and my tummy are very much delighted to devour such a syhmpony of flavors and texture.

Ingredients 

1 cup rice flour

Salt to season

4-5 pandan leaves, washed

1/4 cup coconut milk

3 tbsp grated coconut 

3 tbsp shredded palm sugar 

Pinch of salt

Methods 

In a blender add pandan leaves and little water. Grind to extract the pandan juice. Strain the juice and add 1/4 cup coconut milk. Stir and keep aside. 

In a pan over medium low heat fry the rice flour for 2-3 minutes to remove the raw smell.

In a bowl,  add the rice flour and salt. Mix to combine. Gradually, add the pandan juice mixture and mix well to form crumbly texture. When u hold with your palms the flour shall stay firm and easy to break. 

Add 1 tbsp grated coconut to the bottom of puttu maker,  top with 3 tbsp flour mixture.

Top with 1 tablespoon of shredded palm sugar. Add 1 tablespoon grated coconut. Layer 3 tbsp of flour mixture, 1 tablespoon shredded palm sugar and another tablespoon of grated coconut.

Steam for 8-10 minutes.

Unmould from puttu maker and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...