Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Puran Poli

 

I still remember an Indian restaurant near my office area used to sell yummy puran poli for breakfast and tea time snack. It was nicely stacked on banana leaf and cover with a clean towel to avoid from drying. Actually, I don't think they'll even get dried up as their poli are one of the restaurant's best selling item.  They easily sell off and available everyday in their menu. I tasted their poli on many occasions and everytime it tasted like the first time. The consistency of the filling and dough remained the same till the last day the restaurant decided to close their door. There goes my journey with one of the best poli I ever had. 

I never tried making poli at home since,  my poli spot it's no more I'm forced to give it a try. I was a bit skeptical to try as it's a traditional dish and I don't want to screw it up but the curiosity push me forward all the to my little kitchen. As much as I wanted to keep it traditional, my not so creative mind was looking for something new in the form of the filling. 

Usually, poli are stuffed with mashed chana dual, coconut-jaggery filling. I tried to add assorted nuts to my coconut jaggery filling. I love the little crunch you get on every bite. Do not be stingy with ghee as ghee is an important element for making a soft puran poli. You may replace ghee with gingely oil but the authentic taste you get from desi ghee takes this delicious poli to the next level. 

Ingredients 

2 cups whole wheat/atta flour 

1/2 wheat flour/all purpose flour

1 tsp salt 

Pinch of turmeric powder

3 + 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter 

Water as needed 

For The Stuffing 

1 cup freshly grated coconut 

3 tbsp chopped almonds

3 tbsp chopped cashews

3 tbsp chopped pistachios

1/2 cup grated jaggery 

1/4 tsp cardamom powder

1/3 cup water

1 tbsp ghee & more for smearing 

Methods

For The Dough

In a bowl,  add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt. 

Add the ghee and mix well. Gradually add water and knead for 5 minutes to form a soft dough. Grease the dough with ghee. 

Cover with clean kitchen towel and rest for 30 minutes. 

Divide the dough into equal sized balls and grease a banana leaf with ghee.  Place the dough on the banana leaf and using your palm flatten the dough. Place the prepared filling in the center of the dough and bring all the edges together to seal completely.

Using your fingers press the dough gently to form a disc not too thin or too thick. The thickness shall resemble like poori dough.

Heat a girdle over medium heat and grease with ghee.

Cook for 30 seconds on both sides or till golden brown spots appear. Remove from heat and brush with ghee. 

Repeat the process with remaining dough and filling. 

For The Jaggery 

In a pan, melt ghee and fry the almonds and cashews till golden. Keep aside. 

Add water to the pan together with grated jaggery. Stir till the jaggery completely dissolved. Strain to remove impurities.

Add the jaggery syrup back to the pan with shredded coconut. Stir and add cardamom powder. Mix well. Add the pistachios,almonds and cashews. Stir once the mixture completely thickened, transfer to a bowl to cool completely.

Divide the filling into equal sized balls and keep aside.

Serve hot or warm. 

Notes

  • Ghee soften the dough. The more ghee the more softer the dough. For the given recepi 3 tbsp ghee is what needed. 
  • You may use rolling pin to roll out the dough into a disc.
  • Rest the dough for at least 30 minutes for a softer puran poli.
  • Always cook the poli on medium heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulkand Chai

  I bought a jar of well known brand of Gulkand or rose jam to give it a try by adding into Dandelions milk for breakfast. Traditional prepa...